Built in 1835 beside the old Gaol (now Down County Musseum) the two houses were designed and constructed by John Lynn (see article in Lecale Miscellany 1997 by Gordon Wheeler). The house on the right was for his own use and the other was for rent. The buildings became known as the "Judges Lodgings", at a time when the house was maintained as a high class logding house by three sisters, the Misses Quarrel, who provided accommodation for the Judges when the courts were in session (the courthouse is 50 yards from the building).
In the nineteenth century one of the existing outhouses housed a Turkish Bath. It is not known which one was used.