BALLYKINDLAR, a parish, in the barony of LECALE, county of DOWN, and province of ULSTER, 3 miles (N.E) from Clough; the population is returned with the parish of Tyrella. This parish derives its name, signifying the "Town of the Candlestick" from the appropriation of its tithes to furnish lights for the cathedral of Christchurch, Dublin. It is situated on the bay of Dundrum„ on the eastern coast, and on the road from Newry to Ardglass, and comprises, according to the Ordnance survey, 2038 and a half statute acres, the property of the Marquess of Downshire. A considerable portion of the surface consists of sand hills, and the land is in general very indifferent. There was formerly an extensive tract of bog, which was drained in 1819, and is now wholly under cultivation. It is a rectory, in the diocese of Down, entirely appropriate to the economy funds of the cathedral of Christchurch, Dublin: the tithes amount to £54. 5. 6 and a half, There has been neither church nor incumbent in the parish since the Reformation. On the shore of the inner bay of Dundrum, or Clough bay, are some ruins of the ancient parish church. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, also called Tyrella, comprising the parishes of Ballykindlar and Tyrella, and part of Loughinisland, and containing chapels at Ballykindlar and Dromaroad. Near the former is a school-house.